Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mixed Greens Salad and Raw "Cookie"


I made a big green salad with a variety of lettuce, spinach, and sprouts. I chopped, sliced and diced carrots, zucchini, and peppers. I grilled chicken and sprinkled dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds. I dressed my own with lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Yummy!

Raw "Cookie": In the search for better health, I became interested in incorporating more raw foods into my diet. Raw foods have been linked to numerous benefits including increased energy and better digestion as well as improving the immune system and weight loss/management.

In my food processor/blender attachment, I combined raisins, dried cranberries, almonds and pumpkin seeds. After, I rolled portions into balls and pressed them to make "cookies". On top I placed a square of delicious dark chocolate, given to me by Natasha.

Alternatives: You could use any sticky dried fruit (ie. dates), any seeds (ie. sunflower), any nuts (ie. walnuts). As a topper you could put sliced fruit like fresh apples. You could even make an open-faced "ice-cream" sandwich by mashing and freezing bananas then spooning them on top.

I've seen many health bars that have similar ingredients, but I think this is better because there are no preservatives and it is more cost effective. And, the best of all, the main ingredient is...LOVE! <3

Happy Raw Day!
-Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment