Thursday, January 28, 2010

Spicy Stuffed Eggplant


I was REALLY nervous about this one because I've never made this before. Actually, I totally made up the recipe between a couple that looked good online. I also have never cooked eggplant before, so the whole experience was a wonderful adventure. I also have to admit that since I've moved to South Korea I haven't bought measuring spoons or cups, so my measurements are good guesses! I know Julia wouldn't approve of that, but so far, it has worked for me.

Ingredients: (Servings 5)

5 medium sized eggplants
1/2 red pepper (finely chopped)
1/2 yellow pepper (finely chopped)
1/2 yellow onion (finely chopped)
8-10 sliced grape tomatoes
4-5 finely slice cloves of garlic
4-5 bread sticks (I couldn't find bread crumbs, so I made my own)
1 cup of shredded gruyere cheese
5 small slices of gruyere cheese
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons of Parsley
1-1.5 tablespoons of Chili Pepper Flakes
Sprinkling of Salt, Basil, Black Pepper, Oregano
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil

Directions:
Preheat oven at 350
Slice the Eggplants in half and cut out the center to make room for the stuffing.
I threw out the inside because of the amount of ingredients I was going to add to the inside, but if you purchased large eggplants, you may have room to keep some of the eggplant for the stuffing.
Line the surface of the baking pan with a light layer of olive oil and placed the eggplant shells inside (cut out side facing up)
Lightly salt the inside of the eggplant

After slicing the onion and garlic, heat together in a frying pan with olive oil until tender. (If you kept some eggplant, you'll also place this in the frying pan)
In another bowl, combine, 1 cup gruyere cheese, .5 cup parmesan cheese, 2-3 crumbled bread sticks, parsley, chili pepper flakes, red and yellow peppers. Mix well.
Once the onion and garlic is tender, you may add that combination to the bowl.
Again, mix well.

Stuff eggplants with the contents of the bowl.
Bake for 20 minutes.

Change oven to Broil
Combine the rest of the parmesan cheese, 1 crumbled breadstick, sprinkle of salt, black pepper, oregano, and basil into a small bowl.
Sprinkle the combination on top of the baked stuffed eggplant
Layer tomato slices nicely in a line on top of each stuffed eggplant
Place three small slices of gruyere cheese evenly over each piece of eggplant.
Broil until cheese has melted

You are now ready to serve!

Recipe done by: Elizabeth Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment