Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Vegetables


I’ve been sick for about half this school year and the longest time I’ve gone without being sick was when we started the Cheffettes. So of course the week we take a break, I come down with bronchitis. Coincidence? I don’t think so. There is something to healthy food makes a healthy body. What has been so nice about this experience is that I didn’t force myself into it. Delicious, healthy, international cuisine has been literally delivered to me four days of the week, which has served as my largest meal of the day. It has been a joy. And I get excited to be able to deliver my love for cooking on the one day I have to deliver delicious and healthy food. I have more desire to eat and buy healthy foods because I truly desire them, not because I want to be healthier or lose weight, which are both nice side effects, but currently not the main motivation for my new shopping and eating habits. This is the only sustainable manner for me to be able to eat healthy and I’m thrilled by it. Unfortunately, I don’t think my fellow Cheffettes realized that we must always move to other schools together, because I NEED their healthy loving food!
This week I wanted to focus on high veggie content, with lean meat and lots of flavor. I wanted to see if I could deliver a meal without having to add rice or pasta (of course you can add either). I found a recipe I liked on eatingwell.com, and had to make adjustments to what was available to me in Korean grocery stores. I’m happy with how it turned out and my apartment has the wonderful aroma of lemon and garlic.
Enjoy! - Elizabeth
INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 large red bell peppers, sliced
4 heads of broccoli, bite size chops
1 small package of mushrooms, sliced in four
½ yellow onion, diced
Dash of Chili pepper flakes
2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
5 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 pound raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon flour
4 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley


PREPARATION
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, onion, lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften, about 6 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl; cover to keep warm.

2. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

4. Whisk broth and flour in a small bowl until smooth and add to the pan along with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.

5. Cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened slightly and the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, about 2 minutes more.

6. Add the dash of chili pepper flakes and stir

7. Remove from the heat.

8. Stir in lemon juice and parsley.

9. Serve the shrimp and sauce over the vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment